Flowerly Maua

My photo
I smile recklessly and I love excessively. I live today knowing I have no other day until tomorrow. Now is my moment. Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is a mystery, but today, today is my gift (present).

Friday 27 January 2012

Learning Kenyan

For the first three years of my mid teenage son's life we communicated in Kikuyu, my mother tongue, and only Kikuyu. A few people were a bit apprehensive, like my brothers, but he is my son. I caused several times when they spoke English to him, or when he responded in English. Being born in UK, and with no immediate plans of relocating to Kenya he was going to learn the queen's language anyway. Kikuyu was going to give him a sense of identity and belonging, not to mention having a medium of a private conversation with him in public, or a language I could threaten him, 'eterera tukinye mucii' (wait we get home).

Two weeks to his third birthday, I had to leave for Kenya to care for my mum, and what I thought was a short stay lasted for nine months. I came back to find a chatterbox and my hard work had gone down the drain. My chatterbox son did not speak a word of Kikuyu, courtesy of my brothers. But he was well taken care of.

Last Christmas, my son and I went to Kenya. It was his first time ever, and he hated 16 of the 20 days we were there (the 4 were spent in Malindi).

To my surprise, he picked so many words, but they are all Kenyan. Uka haha, oriti, wacha ujinga, poa, tugende, ninguukuna, barikiwa, shindwe, wi mwega, habari, misi, I have no idea which language to concentrate on. I only speak Kikuyu and Kiswahili. I hate Sheng.

But I'm glad the interest to learn Kenyan is there. I can also proudly report that my son has come from being a Gikuyu, Kenyan, English, British and back to Kenyan.

7 comments:

ssjj said...

I like your blog.
vist

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Project 44 said...

Heheheheh...interesting piece and kudos on the language efforts. Kenya ni noma!

woolie said...

You have been missed. It is most interesting how young people use language. Your son is developing into a young man now and he will use his skills to communicate most effectively wherever he goes. Can a parent ask for more?

Maua said...

Tx Woolie. He's surely trying and bet he'll master some languages. But I can't wait to hear him speak my language again.

Maua said...

Proj 44, Kenya taught him lots, even though he's in denial.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.